San Sebastian College-Recoletos, Manila envisions to:
1. cultivate and maintain an engaging research culture and pioneering research agenda that respond to institutional concerns, regional and national issues, and universal responsibilities;
2. promote a research-based curricular instruction and teaching materials and non-curricular processes and procedures aligned with industry and professional requisites;
3. undertake relevant, innovative and sustainable institutional research development programs, plans, activities, projects, symposia, and colloquia.
San Sebastian College-Recoletos, Manila commits to:
1. publish in the institutional, local and professional journals relevant researches that affect institutional, regional, national, and international concerns;
2. formulate and foment research agenda and opportunities that link instruction and teaching with industry demands and professional requirements;
3. review and update regularly institutional research policies, procedures, guidelines, projects, programs, and activities.
1. Engaging research culture
2. Innovative research agenda
3. Regular research publications
4. Probing research endeavors
INSTITUTIONAL RESEARCH GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
The following goals and objectives give flesh and blood, soul and body to the research aspirations of the institution:
1. To regularly update the comprehensive long and short-range institutional research agenda keeping them aligned to the National Higher Education Research Agenda 2 (NHERA2) of the Commission on Higher Education (CHEd), responsive to professional demands of the 21st century, and supportive of the vision and mission of the Institution and the Research Department;
2. To draft and implement sustainable research developmental programs, projects, and activities to maintain research initiatives and advance investigative fervor among the faculty members and personnel of the Institution;
3. To organize and conduct research enhancing capability programs to foment a culture of research and philosophy of inquiry;
4. To aim for a research-based curricular academic offering adoptive and responsive to professional demands and international standards;
5. To encourage faculty and personnel researchers to conduct inquiry and investigation in their field of specialization;
6. To regularly update research direction and agenda in favor of local needs, national concerns, and international obligations;
7. To conduct a timely revision of research policies and procedures;
8. To create linkages with zonal, regional and other research groups to contribute to local, national and international social responsibility through research.
9. To continuously publish quality research outputs of the SSCR community;
10. To pursue journal exchange with other learning institutions in the country, Asia, and the world to share new knowledge and updated resources and to engage in recent discoveries and current developments.
TEN-POINT PROGRAM OF ACTION
The following ten-point program is the College’s program of action to improve the SSC-R, Manila’s research capabilities.
1. SSC-R, Manila adopts the accepted principles of the Commission on Higher Education and adheres to the National Higher Education Research Agenda 2 (NHERA2).
2. The Administration, upon the approval of the institutional research guidelines and policies, ensures that the academic environment nurtures and supports faculty and student research talents and commits to the development of every individual researcher.
3. The Research Center, through the Institutional Research Council, conducts research training, seminars on research writing, and related activities to generate interest and awareness among the members of the SSC-R academic community.
4. The College endorses several possible options for realistic and appropriate incentives to motivate researchers. These include cash incentives, deloading of teaching assignments, and sabbatical leaves, among others.
5. The Research Center supports the publication of quality research outputs and wider dissemination of research outputs through the release of the SSC-R Faculty Research Journal, the SSC-R ANTF Research Digest, and the SSC-R Student Research Gazette.
6. The College provides an honorarium to all contributors whose research works are published in the SSC-R Faculty Research Journal/ ANTF Digest.
7. The Research Council encourages faculty members to publish and present papers in the institutional, local, and international arena.
8. The College, through RC, institutionalizes the creation of a research climate within the school to promote and undertake research and development programs while being guided by the College’s Research Policies and Procedures.
9. The College makes available the use of the school’s facilities to all faculty members undertaking research.
10. RC makes available the services of Research Assistants to all faculty members conducting research, thereby providing guidance throughout the research process.
THE RESEARCH CENTER
The Research Center is the heart and mind of the research endeavors of the Institution. It is also the depository of all research publications of the institution and is the official address for all journal exchanges in favor of the school with other learning establishments, foundations, associations, and professional groups whether local, national or international. It is the office that publishes all institutional research outputs and is the hub of all research branches within the institution.
THE INSTITUTIONAL RESEARCH COUNCIL
The Institutional Research Council (IRC) coordinates and helps set standards on all matters about student research such as undergraduate thesis writing, and faculty research requirements.
THE INSTITUTIONAL RESEARCH COUNCIL MEMBERS
Deans (College, IREP, IGS, COL,), Director of ETEEAP, Head (ANTF/ OPS or Representative), Chair of the Languages and Humanities
DESCRIPTION OF THE INSTITUTIONAL RESEARCH PUBLICATION
An indispensable competent in a school’s research infrastructure is the publication of researches on a continuing basis. A quality control system shall be adopted to ensure that only valuable and meritorious research outputs are included in these releases. They shall serve as one avenue to widen the dissemination of research findings so that audiences and other interested researchers are reached.
The following are the different types of SSC-R publications:
- The Academician
The official publication of the faculty members of San Sebastian College-Recoletos, Manila and is published on a semestral basis. The said publication is multi-disciplinary and inter-collegial. Preference is given to research papers with widespread scholarship and intellectual appeal.
- The Questers
The official publication of the Academic Non-Teaching Faculty (ANTF) of San Sebastian College-Recoletos, Manila and is published annually.
The “Questers” is taken from the root word “quest” which means the act of seeking; a looking for something and also the person or persons searching. It stands for the group of the dynamic, prolific and goal-oriented batch of researchers from the Academic Non-Teaching Faculty (ANTF).
- The Research Gazette
An excellent research exposure that extends a special invitation to student-researchers to join other undergraduates and student research scientists from San Sebastian College – Recoletos, Manila. The Research Gazette is published once in every school year.
- The Business Guardian
The official publication of the Institute of Graduate Studies whose contributors are of the student body and other interest groups within the faculty and affiliates of the Institutes. The Business Guardian is published once a year.
- OTIUM: A Journal of Research Abstracts
Designed to create a comprehensive database for research from all research publications within the San Sebastian College-Recoletos, Manila such as: The Academician (formerly SSC-R de Manila Faculty Research Journal), The Questers, The Sebastinian Research Gazette (formerly Student Research Gazette), The Business Guardian (formerly Institute of Graduate Studies Research Journal), and The Law Forum.
Obviously, this type of publication is noteworthy in as much as it would assist the public in their search for previously published researches within their field of interest.
Let it be that this endeavor shall serve as a Light House for those who believe that quality life is achieved through the constant search for truth.